HistoryAnd Summary | Themes | Characters| Illustrations

History and Summary

When Babel first began writing the individual stories of Red Cavalry, they were nonfiction recaps of his experiences in the war, published in newspapers.  However, through numerous rewrites, his characters and stories became fictional, and it is still hard to determine which of the stories in the compilation are true memory and which are imagination.  While this collection of stories was immensely popular throughout Russia, Budyonny criticized Babel, saying that his representation of the Cossack army was insulting and inaccurate.

In Red Cavalry, Kirill Vasilyevich Lyutov follows the course of the Russian Civil War with unsophisticated, uneducated Cossack soldiers.  The reader sees these soldiers wreak a trail of savagery through Russia's Polish territoryfrom the point of view of Lyutov, a Jewish war correspondent and Babel's alter-ego.  The work brings together the tensions that Babel must have experienced while traveling with the Red Army.  Lyutov seems to identify himself as an ethical and honorable Jew, but this identification strictly contrasts the Cossacks’ mechanical devotion to the state.  Lyutov also struggles to be accepted and respected by these primitive and uninhibited men rather than set apart as a weak and intellectual Jew.

The Problem with Translation

It isextremely difficult to read Babel’s work in English.  Red Cavalry gives a reader a glimpse into the reality of military Soviet life, but can a Westerner living in the 21st century really understand what Babel was trying to convey when he is not reading it in the original language? The translation of a work is, if nothing else, a commentary on the work.  Whether accidentally or on purpose, a translator can evoke a completely different response from the reader than the original author had intended. Following are two different translations of the same story from Red Cavalry.  This is the first story of the collection. The reader can clearly see the difference between the two translations, and can begin to understand how hard it is to figure out what Babel was really trying to convey to the reader.

“Crossing into Poland”

The commander of the VI Division reported: Novograd-Volynsk was taken at dawn today. The Staff had left Krapivno, and our baggage train was spread out in a noisy rearguard over the highroad from Brest to Warsaw built by Nicholas I upon the bones of the peasants.

Fields flowered around us, crimson with poppies; a noontide breeze played in the yellowing rye; on the horizon virginal buckwheat rose like the wall of a distant monastery. The Volyn’s peaceful stream moved away from us in sinuous curves and was lost in the pearly haze of the birch groves; crawling between flowery slopes, it wound weary arms through a wilderness of hops.  The orange sun rolled down the sky like a lopped-off head, and mild light glowed from the cloud gorges.  The standards of the sunset flew above out heads.  Into the cool of evening dripped the smell of yesterday’s blood, of slaughtered horses.  The blackened Zbruch roared, twisting itself into foamy knots at the falls. The bridges were down, and we waded across the river.  On the waves rested a majestic moon.  The horses were in to the cruppers, and the noisy torrent gurgled among hundreds of horses’ legs.  Somebody sank, loudly defaming the Mother of God. The river was dotted with the square black patches of the wagons, and was full of confused sounds, of whistling and singing, that rose above the gleaming hollows, the serpentine trails of the moon.

Far on in the night we reached Novograd. In the house where I was billeted I found a pregnant woman and two red-haired, scraggy-necked Jews. A third, huddled to the wall with his head covered up, was already asleep.  IN the room I was given I discovered turned-out wardrobes, scraps of women’s fur coats on the floor, human filth, fragments of the occult crockery the Jews use only once a year, at Eastertime.

“Clear this up,” I said to the woman. “What a filthy way to live!” The two Jews rose from their places and, hopping on their felt soles, cleared the mess from the floor. They skipped about noiselessly, monkey-fashion, like Japs in a circus act, their necks swelling and twisting. They put down for me a feather bed that had been disemboweled, and I lay down by the wall next to the third Jew, the one who was asleep.  Faint-hearted poverty closed in over my couch.

Silence overcame all.  Only the moon, clasping in her blue hands her round, bright, carefree face, wandered like a vagrant outside the window.

I kneaded my numb legs and, lying on the ripped-open mattress, fell asleep.  And in my sleep the Commander of the VI Division appeared to me; he was pursuing the Brigade Commander on a heavy stallion, fired at him twice between the eyes.  The bullets pierced the Brigade Commander’s head, and both his eyes dropped to the ground.  “Why did you turn back the brigade?” shouted Savitsky, the Divisional Commander, to the wounded man—and here I woke up, for the pregnant woman was groping over my face with her fingers.

“Good sir,” she said, “you’re calling out in your sleep and you’re tossing to and fro. I’ll make you a bed in another corner, for you’re pushing my father about.”

She raised her thin legs and rounded belly from the floor and removed the blanket from the sleeper. Lying on his back was an old man, a dead old man. His throat had been torn out and his face cleft in two; in his beard blue blood was clotted like a lump of lead.

“Good sir,” said the Jewess, shaking up the feather bed, “the Poles cut his through and he begging them: ‘Kill me in the yard so that my daughter shan’t see me die.’ But they did as suited them. He passed away in this room, thinking of me.—And now I should wish to know,” cried the woman with sudden and terrible violence, “I should wish to know where in the whole world you could find another father like my father?”

“Crossing the Zbrucz”

Nachdiv 6* has reported that Novograd-Volynsk was taken at dawn today.  The staff has moved out of Krapivno, and our transport is strung like a noisy rearguard along the high road, along the unfading high road that goes from Brest to Warsaw and was build on the bones of muzhiks by Nicholas I.

Fields of purple poppies flower around us, the noonday wind is playing in the yellowing rye, and virginal buckwheat rises on the horizon like the wall of a distant monastery. The quiet Volyn is withdrawing from us into a pearly mist of birch groves, it si creeping away into flowery knolls and entangling itself with enfeebled arms in thickets of hops. An orange sun is rolling across the sky like a severed head, a gentle radiance glows in the ravines of the thunderclouds and the standards of the sunset float above our heads. The odour of yesterday’s blood and of slain horses drips into the evening coolness.  The Zbrucz, now turned black, roars and pulls tight the foamy knots of the rapids.  The bridges have been destroyed, and we ford the river on horseback. The horses sink into the water up to their backs, the sonorous currents ooze between hundreds of horses’ legs. Someone sinks, and resonantly defames the Mother of God. The river is littered with the black rectangles of carts, it is filled with a rumbling, whistling and singing that clamour above the serpents of the moon and the shining chasms.  

Late at night we arrive in Novograd. In the billet that has been assigned to me I find a pregnant woman and two red-haired Jews with thin necks: a third is already asleep, covered up to the top of his head and pressed against the wall.  In the room that has been allotted to me, I find ransacked wardrobes, on the floor scraps of women’s fur coats, pieces of human excrement and broken shards of the sacred vessels used by the Jews once a year, at Passover.

‘Clear up,’ I say to the woman. ‘What a dirty life you live, landlords&’

The two Jews got up from their chairs. They hop about on felt soles, clearing the detritus off the floor, they hop about in silence, monkey-like, like Japanese in a circus; their necks swell and revolve. They spread a torn feather mattress for me, and I lie down facing the wall, alongside the third, sleeping, Jew. A timid destitution immediately closes over my place of rest.

All has been murdered by silence, and only the moon, clasping her round, shining, carefree head in blue hands, plays the vagrant under the window.

I stretch my numbed legs, I lie on the torn mattress and fall asleep.  I dream of nachdiv 6.  He is pursuing the kombrig* on a heavy stallion, and puts two bullets in his eyes.  The bullets penetrate the kombrig’s head, and both his eyes fall to the ground.

‘Why did you turn the brigade about?’ Savitsky—nachdiv 6—cries to the wounded man, and at that point I wake up because the pregnant woman is fumbling with her fingers in my face.

Panie*,’ she says, ‘you are shouting in your sleep, and you’re throwing yourself about. I’m going to make your bed up in the other corner, because you’re pushing my Papasha*&’

She raises thin legs and a round belly from the floor and removes the blanket from the man who had fallen asleep. And old man is lying there, on his back, dead.  His gullet has been torn out, his face has been cleft in two, dark blue blood clings in his beard like pieces of lead.

Panie,’ the Jewess says, and she shakes up the feather mattress, ‘the Poles were murdering him, and he begged them: “Kill me out in the backyard so that my daughter doesn’t see me die.” But they did what suited them. He died in this room, thinking about me.  And now tell me,’ the woman said suddenly with terrible force, ‘tell me where else in all the world you would find a father like my father?’

*nachdiv 6—abbreviation of nachal’nik divizii—‘divisional commander’.  The ‘6’ refers to the number of the division; i.e. ‘the commander of the sixth division’.

*kombrig—abbreviation of komandir brigady—‘brigade commander’.

*Panie—‘Sir’ (Polish)

*Papasha—‘papa’,‘Daddy’.

It is clear from reading both of these versions of the same story that the translation can greatly affect the reader’s perception of the story.  From both versions, the reader can get the same general gist of the meaning, but will still miss some of the nuances that one version offers if he only reads one of the versions.  After noticing how different the two translations are, the reader can begin to realize that he cannot automatically assume he knows what Babel was trying to convey in the work.  He can only really know what the translator was trying to convey in his edition.