Dostoevsky (RU 351)

Prof. Thomas Beyer

The goal in this course is for you to read several major works by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. You should read actively and carefully, think about what you are reading, record your thoughts and be prepared to articulate those thoughts in class, both orally and in written form.

All reading must be completed before the beginning of each class. As you read you should keep your thoughts, observations, questions and comments on sheets of loose-leaf paper to be kept in a binder which you bring to class for every meeting. (While these thoughts are personal, they are not private!)

For each class you should prepare a one page typed journal entry. This one page entry should be typed in 12 point New York font (or its equivalent) on 8 1/2" by 11" paper with top and bottom, left and right margins of 1". The one sheet (and it must always be edited to one sheet) should contain a twenty five word or less description of the "who, what, where, when and why" of the reading assignment. This should be followed by a single well-constructed paragraph analyzing some aspect of the work which appeal ed to you. Finally, write a single question at the end of each page to serve as a discussion question for the entire class.

If you read all the works on time, do all the informal and formal journal entries on time, and participate actively in each class, you can expect a grade of B or better. The "better" depends upon clear demonstration of exceptional effort and care in your work.

Books for course:

(See list of works in our library by Dostoevsky)

(See list of works in our library about Dostoevsky)

(See several student papers about Dostoevsky)

Reading Assignments

Feb. 13 Introduction to the Man and His Work
See Supplementary Assignments
Feb. 15 "White Nights" in NFU

Feb. 20 Selections from House of the Dead in NFU
Feb. 22 Notes From the Underground, I

Feb. 27 Notes From the Underground, II
Feb. 29 Crime and Punishment, I

March 5 Crime and Punishment, II, III
March 7 Crime and Punishment, IV

March 12 Crime and Punishment, V, VI, Epilogue
March 14 The Idiot, I