Essays on the Classics
The Classics, a review from 1800 - 2000 Gains and losses from Classics in Translation. NEW.
The Latin Authors A dozen short sketches as an Introduction.
Background Materials Prolegomena to the study of Latin...
Greek Mythology and Pre-History A detailed study in twelve chapters.
Unraveling Mythology Greek Mythology is so popular today that we often miss the way it traces back by a tortuous route to the early Greeks and Homer .
BANAUSIA: Can the Greek working man really think. . . .? A look at ancient Athens compared to modern America, with a few cautions and some regrets.
Essays on Homer . . . . for a series of several papers on Homer.
Vergils' Georgics for Green generation reading . . . and the problem of Intertextuality. NEW.
Scrinium Latinum A Comprehensive Tool-Box for the student and serious amateur of Latin Language and Literature.
"The Intelligent Person's Guide to Latin" The the new, much enlarged edition is now available, for information...
Translation as Art and Craft . . . with some samples.
- On Literature Suggestion for a wide-angle approach to the understanding of the literary Classics from the ancient world, as read in a modern setting.
- Linguistics A brief overview of this wide ranging field.
- Linguistic Prolegomena to Studying a Language A formal approach to the forms, functions and logic of English, as prolegomena for language study.
- Vergil the Prophet: ON IRAQ Vergil as a Western I-Ching may still have some value.
- What is a "Classic"? ......and how to make a Classic.
- A Requiem for Philology . . . .with a note about Harvard's redoubtable Prof. Joshua Whatmough
- On the State of Classics Problems with the academic field of Classics, where it is coming from and where it is going.
- The Greek Accents and Classical Pronunciation A basic statement about our misuse use of pitch and duration in ancient Greek !
- Cinema and Poetry A study of visual materials inherent in Classical poetry, with two short examples of overlooked poems from Horace and Propertius
- The Poet and the Spectrograph Tools for analysis of the "Microstructure" of Greek, Latin and English poetry
- INTOLERANCE: An Academic Drama in Nine Acts Pliny's Christians vis a vis MacCarthy's Communists in a classroom presentation (of sorts)
- Arrowsmith A short note on the death of a major controversial figure in the American Classical scene.
- A Theophrastan Character A wry description of a kind of Professor we have all known, part of the academic scene of the closing century perhaps, but not an extinct species.
- A Roman Satellite
Aloft A celestial Appellate Court based legal surveillance
- Drama Absurdum Si amas Becketti GODOT, inspice hoc dramatis fragmentum ex MS antiquiore deductum.
- On Reading Homer... A project
independent study of Homeric Greek
- "On Looking into Homer's
Centuries of change reading Homer, as we drag him to the
- HOMER the Hostage A new view of
the proto-Homer as a Luwian speaking Ilioni taken as hostage to Mycene as
royal poet of the Greeks.
- HOMER'S Trojan War
PROJECT: Bardic Readings with visual imagery from the Iliad linked
to Greek archaeology, geography, and artwork, as an outline for an
- Homer and the Philologists On
close-reading of the Text, avoiding the quicksand of aeons of
- Archilochus: First Poet after
Homer The Greek text with translation and literary Commentary. pdf,
115 pp. printable.
Download Adobe Reader
to read this.
- CYBELE: The Lady of Dindymus
Scenario for a Ballet on the castration cult of the Magna Mater, with
translation and text.
- Vergil Scenario for a Radio-Drama
Presentation of the Aeneid
Book I, with a visual commentary and acoustically designed
- Letter to a Latin Student....
- Caesar and the Ten Little
Indians How Classics military propaganda fueled the Indian
- Homer Redivivus !
The revival of Homeric studies in the l8 th c., and his supreme position
in world-literature today (but, alas, only in translation).
Crucifixion and Petronius In Memoriam Eric Mitchell.
- The Purple of Kings An
Homer calls the Sea, Blood and the Rainbow all PURPLE?
- Christians at Rome
The remarkable correspondence between the Magistrate Pliny and Emperor
Trajan on the "Christian Problem, Latin text and English
- Romulus: A reference A
short discussion and reference with linked URL to the ROMULUS paper
published April l996. The counter showed 10,000 readings in 2 years
before it was taken off.....
- Heraclitus The
fragments of Heraclitus in English translation, followed by a detailed
commentary with interpretations.
The Pythagorean Counsels A detailed study with translation of the
neglected "Counsels" from the Pythagorean monastic world, with new
This is an entirely new approach to the Pity and Fear problem, based on
Greek mathematical reasoning.
- Plato and Mathematics
A study in the various ways in which Plato used math. as a basis for his
logic, with the change toward intuition evidenced in the Meno and
Calvin Coolidge: Classicist or Politician? In 1921 as VP Coolidge
was by no means taciturn, as this liberal paper on the
Classics demonstrated. But by 1924 he became involved with singularly
unpleasant legislation, here briefly reviewed at 75 th Anniversary of his
- Homer's King of
Men We have never had a reasonable etymology for Gr. anax 'king'...a
- A rare Little Medieval
Veneris Short introduction and the full Latin text of a remarkable and
unique piece of 3 c. AD accentual Latin poetry. This text is hard to find,
I suggest printing it out.
The Secret Life Drawing on materials from the ancient Lives or Vitae
of Vergil, a detailed account of the largely unknown aspects of this great
poet's curious personality. Important reading as background for serious
- Vitae Verg. A
shortened and edited edition of the "Secret Life" for students,similar
materials to the above.
- LATIN: Why study it at all?
Some thoughts for the new Millennium.
- Economics in
Greece A short outline of some thoughts on trade, barter and the rise
of monetary systems in ancient Greece.
Prof. Em. Middlebury College