PAPERS ON THE HUMANITIES
- VERMONT ESSAYS. The Old Professor, freed from correcting papers and futile committeework, writes at last about life and living on this own terms. Volume One and Volume Two and finally Volume Three. Each will offer a good long evening's reading!
- "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Jew" The first pages of a book in process of editing in '07.
- Moby Dick A full text in a readable/searchable format, with a list of Chapters for reference, to open in separate window or print.
- Dear Mr. Melville: We regret informing you that your "novel" on whaling is not . . . .
- What is Improvisation? Music, Dance, Theater, Painting and Poetry are all on the edge of a breath of improvisational thinking.
- Poetry in Motion
. . . . experiment in a moving verse form.
- Vergil the Prophet: ON IRAQ Vergil as a Western I-Ching may still have some value.
- REPENT repent for the year 2012 cometh. . . .
- The Intelligent Person's Short English Grammar, is an antidote for the poisonous prescriptive grammars used in the schools. Download 17 pages for enlightening reading at your ease.
- English and Am. Lit. in College Courses .... do they really fit in the new, global world?
- PLAGIARISM IN ACADEME A new look with a very different approach and an update 2007 on the imminent Dangers of Turnitin.
- Colleges In Change . . . . the long road from 1950 to 2000
- Tales from Academe Some might think that College is all light and good cheer, these might be a partial antidote.
- Writing Acceptable English A Century of Re-gress at 2000 A.D.
- A Manual of College Writing A caustic manual for students on how to get through college with the best grades for the least work, how to select courses and psych out the Prof. Required reading for success in college!
- The Old Professor's retirement Eulogy
- A Theophrastan Character A wry description of a kind of Professor we have all known, part of the academic scene of mid-20th c. perhaps, but not an extinct species.
- My Toilet The Professor lucubrates on a household problem with his water-closet, which escalates to ways of looking at life .
- American "Caucus" The origin and history of the political term.
- The Problem of Form vs. Meaning A critical look at Form as FORM ---- apart from the sequencing of meaning.
- How to Read a Poem A guide to poetic Microstructure in three easy lessons.
- The Poet and the Spectrograph
- John Donne and Ernest Hemingway For whom does the bell toll... ?
- Thoreau & Emerson Is "emotional" now redefined as homosexual, as we apply the Sexual Inquisition even to the Transcendalists?
- Sterne's TRISTRAM SHANDY This is the whole of the novel formatted to match the original pagination, to be read page by page in 18th c. manner .....via PDF . It is a continuous file so it can be searched for the whole nine volumes!
- Tristram Shandy Revisited ..... a sentimental journey, along with a note: On Reading Shandy.
- GULLIVER'S TRAVELS by Jonathan Swift This is a continuous and searchable Reader's Text, formatted in short lines approximating the original 12mo 18th century format as published.
- Finnegans Wake Introduction to the Wake via musicality.
- On Reading Joyce and the Wake Some thoughts following the above article as a PS.
- James Joyce: Was he insane. . .?
- .....a propos of the "W T C"
- The Kryptic World of Automatic Drawing
- St. Paul: 1 Corinthians
.13: "Sounding brass..." An interpretation based on ancient acoustics.
- St. Mark: 7.24:
"Bread of the children...." A very new interpretation.
- CYBELE Domina Dindymi The ancient ritual of the Great Goddess attended by castrated priests, a detailed scenario, after Catullus 63, written for a Soundpainting production.
- DIDO AND AENEAS: Part I A new translation of Vergil's Aeneid I with detailed esthetic commentary and directions for use in a Studio-Drama Performance.
- "On Looking into Homer's Homer...." Centuries of change reading Homer as we drag him through translation to the Trash.
- Approaching the Ancient Epic Problems of access to Homer and Vergil, in history, society and language
- On Reading Homer... A project for independent study of Homeric Greek
- Sappho, Horace, Catullus and some other translations.
- Greek Mythology and Pre-History A detailed study of Greek myth as bearing the imprint of an early historical tradition.
- The Piano Shop on the Left Side of Route Seven South.... After reading Thad Carhart's fascinating book on a piano shop in Paris, it occurred to me that there must be interesting piano shops everywhere, so I sketched out a description of one I know well, Hansen and Son near Burlington VT.
- The Golden Mean This paper explain how the Greeks were able to use the Golden or Golden Section ratio 1.618 : 1 in art and architecture, without calculation or measurement! A new discovery in a much worked field.
- The Fibonacci Series of Numbers ...... allied to the G.M. but with differences.
- An Ode to the Piano..... with an Essay on Problems in Modern Poetry
- Metrics in Music and Poetry ....a dangerous limitation to mind and imagination.
- Arden of Feversham ...to be or not to be (by Shakespeare)...? With the full text.
- Aristotle's Poetics and Katharsis A radical approach to the old problem of Pity and Fear, based on Greek mathematical models.
- Surfing the Internet Second thoughts on the new web-world in the new age.
- Economics in Ancient Greece A new view of commerce and trade based on the mythological evidence.
- Some Thoughts on Space Brief thoughts on the nature of Space in the scale of this planet, how we deal with it, what it means.
- On New Thought in the Age of the Computers The new ways of thinking which have emerged since the spread of computers, are instant, intuitive, expansive and (basically) non-verbal - - - a bitter pill to the traditional verbally oriented Humanist.
- Books and the Bookshelf A Design Experiment in a Thousand Words without Pictures
- A Computer Aided Reading Project A review of some of the possibilities with computers, e.g. in the Yale reading programs of the pre-computer age. Directed toward practical use, brief.
- Teachers and Pay One often hears contradictory reports on teachers' earnings, complaints about too high or too low. This is a brief attempt to correlate typical academic pay with pay for similar skills elsewhere.
- Technology in the Greco-Roman World Some notes on three topics. 1) Metallurgy of steel 2) Bronze alloy 3) Beekeeping and medicine.
- Tenure: Academic Freedom or Freeloading? A short statement about tenure, looking back after three quarters of a century since it was implemented.
- Literary Studies on the Classics .... a separate list of classical articles.
go to main index