Proposed assignments

Note that most of this course is intended to be student directed. What you find below is a tentative plan of work that may be altered by you as the semester progresses.

Assignment 1 by Tuesday, Sept. 11

Write: Make a list of your five "heroes." Write a one page (250 words) carefully edited essay on "My Heroes." Begin a text file for this course in which you will save a copy of absolutely all written work.
Due Date: Send me the list via e-mail before noon on Monday Sept. 10.
Send the essay enclosed in the message of your text (not as an attachment) before 9:00AM on Tuesday, Sept. 11. Bring a hard copy to class.
In class: Discussion of your heroes. Decide on upcoming films and readings for The Fifties.
Movie choices: Gladiator, Erin Brokovich

Assignment 2 by Thursday, Sept. 13

Read: Campbell, "Prologue," "The Monomyth" and "Epilogue." Make some notes to yourself on Campbell's theory of what a hero does, and how the "heroic" was manifested in the film we viewed.
Web: Spend approximately twenty minutes on the web researching heroes. Document what you did and what you found. (Put this into your course file). Send me via e-mail an annotated list of five links before class.
In class: Discuss Campbell's theory. Identify other works. An introduction to research and to writing.

Assignment 3 by Tuesday, Sept. 18
Write: Make a list of five qualities common to all "heroes." Write a two page carefully edited essay on "A Hero in Our Time." Be sure to save a text file for this course in which you will save a copy of absolutely all written work.
Due Date: Send me the list via e-mail before noon on Monday Sept. 17.
Read: Campbell, "Chapter III," "Transformation of the Hero" and "Dissolution."
Send the essay enclosed in the message of your text (not as an attachment) before 9:00AM on Tuesday, Sept. 18. Bring a hard copy to class.
In class: Discussion of your concept of the heroic. Decide on upcoming films and readings for The Fifties.
Movie choices: Ben Hur, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Alternatives.

Assignment 4 by Thursday, Sept. 20
Read: Thomas Carlyle, "On Heroes, Hero Worship, and the Heroic" (Introduction and 1st Chapter). [Text can be obtained as an electronic text via the WWW.] Make some notes to yourself on Carlyle's theory of what a hero does, and how his sense of the "heroic" was manifested in the film we viewed. Carlyle's categories: Divinity, Prophet, Poet, Priest, Man of Letters, King
Library: Spend approximately thirty minutes in the library researching the "heroic." Document what you did and what you found. (Put this into your course file). Send me via e-mail before class a summary of what you did and what you did and did not find.
In class: Discuss Carlyle's theory. Identify other works. An introduction to library research and resources.

Assignment 5 by Tuesday, Sept. 25

Write: Make a list of five "heroines." Write a two page carefully edited essay on "Why No/So Few Heroines?." Be sure to save a text file for this course in which you will save a copy of absolutely all written work.
Due Date: Send me the list via e-mail before noon on Monday Sept. 24.
Place the essay in the class folder before 9:00AM on Tuesday, Sept. 25. Bring a hard copy to class.
In class: Discussion of heroines. Decide on upcoming films and readings for The Sixties.
Movie choices:  Some Like it Hot

Assignment 6 by Thursday, Sept. 27
Read: A woman's (auto)biography: The American Woman, Helen Keller, Marilyn Monroe, Mother Theresa, Geraldine Ferraro, Madeline Kunin. Be prepared to sum up her life for the class.
Web Spend approximately thirty minutes on the researching the "heroine." Document what you did and what you found. (Put this into your course file). Send me via e-mail before class a summary of what you did and what you did and did not find.
In class: Discuss the phenomenon of Marilyn Monroe. Identify other female heroes. Did you know Time has had only three women as it's "woman of the year" since 1950. Who were they?What about Noble Peace Prize winners? An introduction to women's studies.

Assignment 7 by Tuesday, Oct. 2
Write: Submit revised copies of first two essays electronically and on paper. Be sure to save new text files (title.2).
Due Date: Essays due in the class folder before 9:00AM on Tuesday. Bring hard copies to class.
In class: Discussion of "Fifties" and its values.
Movie choices: On the Waterfront

Assignment 8 by Thursday, Oct. 4
Read: Otto Rank, The Myth of the Birth of the Hero. (on reserve-but you should also purchase a copy of this book)
Library Spend approximately thirty minutes researching the "heroic "in psychology. Document what you did and what you found. (Put this into your course file). Send me via e-mail before class a summary of what you did and what you did and did not find.
In class: An introduction to fields of inquiry-anthropology, literary studies, psychology, linguistics.

Assignment 9 by Tuesday, Oct. 9
Write: Submit revised copies of heroine essays electronically and on paper. Be sure to save new text files (title.2).
Due Date: Essays due in the class folder before 9:00AM on Tuesday. Bring hard copies to class.
In class: The Epic-what is it?
Movie choices: Dr. No.

Assignment 10 by Thursday, Oct. 11
Read: Lord Raglan's remarks about heroes in the Otto Rank book that needs to be purchased.
Faculty consult Make an appointment and spend some time discussing who are the personal "heroes" for a faculty member and in her/his discipline. Document what you did and what you found. (Put this into your course file). Send me via e-mail before class a summary of what you did and what you did and did not find.
In class: Discuss the phenomenon of heroes and how one's starting point predetermines the answers.

Assignment 11 by Tuesday, Oct. 16
Write: A one page proposal for "My hero" outlining the subject, your reasons for the choice, and a description. On a separate sheet document what resources you intend to use to gather data for your project. Be sure to save new text files (title.2).
Due Date: Project due in the class folder before 9:00AM on Tuesday. Bring hard copies to class.
In class: Discussion of "Sixties" and its values.
Movie choices: The Graduate, 2001

Assignment 12 by Tuesday, Oct. 23
Write: A three page paper on "The Hero of My Parents' Generation."
Due Date: Project due in the class folder before 9:00AM on Tuesday, Oct. Bring hard copies to class.
In class: Discussion of "Sixties" and its values.
Movie choices: The Godfather, Love Story

Assignment 13 by Thursday, Oct. 25

Read: Max Mueller, Religion and Mythology
Library Spend approximately thirty minutes researching the "heroic "in religions, anthropology and mythologies. Document what you did and what you found. (Put this into your course file). Send me via e-mail before class a summary of what you did and what you did and did not find.
In class: Discuss the phenomenon of Gods and mythologies. Similarities and differences.

Assignment 14 by Tuesday, Oct. 30
Write: A four page paper on "The Fictional Hero- Setting or Reflecting Society's Values."
Due Date: Send a brief half page overview via e-mail before 5 PM on Monday. Paper due in the class folder before 9:00AM on Tuesday, Oct. 30. Bring hard copies to class.
In class: Discussion of "Seventies" and its values.
Movie choices: Rocky, Star wars

Assignment 15 by Thursday, Nov. 1
Read: Thomas Bulfinch, Mythology (Introduction and First Chapter)
Library Spend approximately thirty minutes using encyclopedias and other handbooks to find information on the film we viewed and relate that hero/heroine to those of Greek or Roman mythology. Document what you did and what you found. (Put this into your course file). Send me via e-mail before class a summary of what you did and what you did and did not find.
In class: Discuss the phenomenon of epic heroes. An introduction to fields of literary studies.

Assignment 16 by Tuesday,Nov. 6
Write: Revised paper "The Fictional Hero- Setting or Reflecting Society's Values."
Due Date: Send a brief half page overview via e-mail before 5 PM on Monday. Project due in the class folder before 9:00AM on Tuesday, Oct. 30. Bring hard copies to class.
In class: Discussion of academic writing, proper citation and group efforts in the electronic world.
Movie choices: Raiders of the Lost Ark

Assignment 17 by Thursday, Nov. 8

Read: A biography/story of your hero.
Web Spend approximately thirty minutes using the web to gather as much information as possible about your hero. Make a list of bookmarks and e-mail them to me prior to class. Document what you did and what you found. (Put this into your course file). Send me via e-mail before class a summary of what you did and what you did and did not find.
In class: Discuss the distinction between real and fictional heroes. Compare the role of the media to that of former transmitters of culture: myth, literature, ritual, religion, etc.

Assignment 18 by Tuesday, Nov.13
Write: Five page paper "Me and My Hero."
Due Date: Send a brief half page overview via e-mail before 5 PM on Monday. Paper due in the class folder before 9:00AM on Tuesday, Nov. 13. Bring hard copies to class.
In class: Discussion of the connection between academics and life.
Movie choices: Field of Dreams

Assignment 19 by Thursday, Nov. 15

Read: The New York Times for the day of your birth
Library Spend approximately thirty minutes using library resources to make a list of the most important people and events in the year you were born. E-mail the list to me prior to class. Document what you did and what you found. (Put this into your course file). Send me via e-mail before class a summary of what you did and what you did and did not find.
In class: Discuss what you found and what you didn't. Compare the pre-WWW information resources to those of today.

Assignment 20 by Tuesday, Nov.20
Write: Your rough draft of the project. Be prepared to share your information and format to date with the class.
Due Date: Send a brief overview via e-mail before 5 PM on Monday. Project due in the class folder before 9:00AM on Tuesday, Nov. 13. Bring hard copies and computer materials to class.
In class: Discussion of the projects
Movie choices: Class choice.

Assignment 21 by Tuesday, Nov.27
Write: Revise final paper
Due Date: Paper due in the class folder before 9:00AM on Tuesday, Nov. 27. Bring hard copies to class.
In class: Discussion of the nineties. Problems of perspective for historians. Changing values. Generations.
Movie choices: Pretty Woman, Thelma and Louise.

Assignment 22 by Thursday, Nov. 29

Read: A/The best seller of the nineties.
Web Spend approximately thirty minutes using the web resources to make two lists: one of the most important books of the 1990s, and one of the ten "heroes" (whatever that might mean) of the 1990's E-mail the lists to me prior to class. Document what you did and what you found. (Put this into your course file). Send me via e-mail before class a summary of what you did and what you did and did not find.
In class: Discuss the lists. Think back to the earlier lists-why have they changed?

Assignment 23 by Tuesday, Dec. 4

Due Date: All projects are due in the class folder before 9:00AM on Tuesday, Dec. 4. Bring hard copies to class.
In class: Presentation of first half of projects. Discussion
Movie choices: Forrest Gump

Assignment 24 by Thursday, Dec. 6

In class: Presentation of second half of projects. Discussion